Sunday, September 10, 2006

Friends...

Today is one of those days when I miss my frienz terribly,n crawl back into my shell..

My friends...they are such integral part of my life...ppl I can just take for granted..they are always there, u can be u (read stupid) n still be loved.

Well there are friends and the acquaintance...

The roommates who never become friends even after couple of yrs living together(yes I had 1), the friends whom ull never dare to have as roommates(i have frenz who r awesome to be around but just cant imagine havin him as a roommate..)

The colleagues who remain to be colleagues....good ol langoti yaars(they r the besshhht), tea kada friends, darru frenz( they end up bein genuine ones..) n the ephemeral ones( oh well that wld b a looong list)...


I soo loved to cook when my folks n frenz r around..the beers, the music, the bakchodi...hours of talk that looks soo serious but wld mean nothing...

When I look back on whats amiss, I can see all the travelling has taken its toll....


I also notice that the older you get the harder it is to make frenz(acquaintance yes). Like I find most of em too boring n very 'phoney' in their talk...may be I am wrong. As we grow older the innocence,the genuine tone in the voice n the warmth in the eyes is lost...its more like the 'how are you's you hear in the office and not waiting to hear the 'never been better' reply..again reminds me of the lines

'People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening'


Life sans frenz suxxx....


Courtesy S&G /Arun

Old friends, old friends,
Sat on their parkbench like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settle like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today,
Sharing a parkbench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years,
Silently sharing the same fears

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting column. I have a different opinion on a particular thought which you have had written. Ofcourse, you may not agree with my view as I tend to be an extremist in such issues. I think it is not that we loose our innocence and that makes us difficult to make friends at the later stages of our life.

College days are carefree days during which we never care about making money. We just spend other people's money. In our case ( I mean, a private engineering college unlike the more prestigious ones like IITs) we don't even care much about studying. So, a fertile ground is in place to waste our time on mushy, romantic junk issues. I don't mean to say that friendship doesn't really exist. The tragedy is all about not treating relationship in a logical way but attaching strong emotions to it. You can just think about the "serious issues" we used to discuss for hours together that too sometimes through the phone for which someone else ends up paying a huge amount.

Ofcourse, I think it is not the case that we tend to become more sensible at the later stages of our life. I think it is just like jumping from one garbage container to another. That is a different story.