Saturday, September 23, 2006

Accents- UK accents, U.S,...Southern..Manglish ,Hinglish n the rest....

This is in response to what Sethu had to say . Well whats with this fuss on english accent? Is there like a benchmark on how it needs to be spoken? If english is from the U.K from my limited knowledge they still have their Scottish... Irish...Welsh accents. So which one do I pick?

If you ask me I dont know what accent I speak with. Mean its not my native language. When the native speakers have their own 'flavors' well I care a damn bout how I do. Its just that out of 'necessity' we learnt it. Well the Americans and the whole lot hire ppl who speak Japanese to deal n sniff on Toyota way and learn a few Six sigma tricks cos its their 'necessity' to learn the language to deal with the Japs..If Indians were resourceful, innovative, industrious, and 'lean' enough (this opens another topic for dicsussion /debate lets save that for later..) may be they might be forced to learn telegu n tamil n we can make fun of their 'wierd' accents...Let me not tread away from the topic of discussion.

I do want to recollect an incident when I called up one of the support centre for a software I deal with. From the first greeting of the lady on the other side I cld see it the call had gone to India. I was amused and then a bit irritated by the accent like third pardy(party- ????) tool...pEASsword(password -Southern/ Texan? ) I was soo tempted to ask her to speak english. From my own accent she wld have very well known I was from India or even Southern India but still she continued her whatevr...Point here is its ok to stick to your natural accent n not feel guilty than act like a retard tryin to fake one..

It is also true that I am bound to have some genuine influences on my accent based on where I am.. 21 yrs Ive been in India 5 in u.s and close to 1 in singapore( singlish- can also aah( can you? )going back ready aah(are you leaving?)) n now in middle east-Yalla yalla lets go, i sneeze n if i say 'excuse me' i dont hear many bless yous, they say something else i havent caught up on that..Down the lane I might end up saying alhamdulilla instead of excuse me. Touchwood wld get replaced by Masha allah. Hopefull by Insha allah...n a whole lot. All the Brits, South Africans(my boss) Australians n Dutch whove been working here for a while add those whole lot of arabic words to their vocabs n have a 'customized' accent. So whats the big deal?

So next time some1 pulls a prank on manglish , tanglish or hinglish its ok. Shame on them. This trend is so prevalent with the FOBS landin up for Grad studies and couple of yrs down the lane make fun of the ones who hasnt picked a cue or two or just hasnt come to terms with the new place. ABCDs makin fun of Grads Grads on FOBS n FOBS on say hmm may pe direct H1. 'Kinatril vaazum tavalai pol' they r just morons. its perfectly ok to forgive the ignorants n be happy you have a broader bird's eye view of the world. Stay humble. Peace be upon you..Assalamalaikum.

Machi Sethu I know I treaded away from what you had to say or this post has nothing to do with what you wrote, but I wanted to blog on this some day, u just gave me the lead...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very simple. I spoke in a technical point of view. You spoke in a philosophical point of view. You can argue on an issue in any way you want. It is all about the state of mind with which we start to write or speak.

Anonymous said...

May be you were bit emotional when you started writing this post. :)

ennigmaa said...

not at all da. u werent looking down @ fellow desis. but in a whole lot of forums, n esp blogs there are these ignorants who think no end of themselves. seriously its just soo stupid n shows their bad grooming.