Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ang Mo Kio St 81, Orchid Park...

My mom...hmm she is very innocent, mean she believes me n whatever I say...all BS she'll buy n its fun to watch her getting 'punked'

This one is one recap of her visit to Singapore...

Venue : Immigration office, Singapore
Purpose : To get stamping on her passport for her stay
Status: Impossibly loong line..I was gettin restless and wanted a break.
Plot : I tell my mom 'So uve memorized my offce n home address? What about my ph numbers?

She gave me a blank look. I was like 'What I already mailed u about this before you came' I went on with my 'explanation' that since she will be staying here depending on me they will ask for her passport no, my name, designation, office address, ph no , home address and cell ph no just incase she gets lost.. Pressed the panic button just right...All that she knew was my cell ph no.

I suggested she write it down n start memorizing. Also added she better do it in her hand so she can have a sneak look just incase she forgets. So she draws a line seperating -Home address, Office address, ph no , ext, my designation etc n started memorizing like lil kids. After 5 min I started asking her random questions n she judiciously answered. I still remember the look in her face..tensed, focussed n hiding the panic feeling. She did a great job in crammin up all the info in that 20 odd min wait.

' My home address' my question 'Ang Mo Kio Street 81 Orchid Park...' came the reply. She was prepared. N when we reached the counter it was a 2 min job, the 'interviewer' hardly had anything to ask, I dont remember anything 'challenging' asked, n when we were done she had this sparkle in her eyes like 'I got lucky they didnt ask me anything'... the rest is history.....Those 20 min is a fav topic of discussion for me n my sis n my mom just goes mum. Her only complaint is what all the ppl in the line wld have thought of her while she was busy memorizing the lines n saying it out loud...something like when u see kids fall down, they decide how to react only after they look around...

Thats not just that. Mama has never been on an escalator before , so I took her to the MRT when it was not too busy, got her to do the climb up n way down 'n' no of times n she was kinda ok...Then came the judgement day, we were @ Orchard road station, its like a mini NY or Mumbai, extremely crowded, n then came my mom's turn to show her expertise. I told her to just relax n step on the escalator just like she did the other day. She stood, she stared, she stared n she stood...behold look some1 has brought Orchard station to a grinding halt may be just 10- 15 sec, I didnt count but it seemed like forever.Poor thing did finally manage to climb on n may be I shld have opted for the lift in that crowd...I turned back n gave all an apologetic look but the ppl r nice out there...

A coupla months ago I got this sms from mom n it read something like 'You know what I did, I used the escalator in Kumaran silks today' hmmmm good joob!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The immigration office story was nothing short of cruelty.

ennigmaa said...

hehe ille da it wasnt all that bad. it was me who had a tough time controlling my laughter...