Saturday, July 31, 2010

Friendship

I am not sure of where, how and why Friendship's Day originated. Its just another day. I can relate the bonding in friendship to a deep state of meditation. We see our friends as they are, accept them as they are, isn't that what we strive for in meditation- see things as they are and accept the reality?  In the bond between 2 individuals there is clarity, purity, love, empathy and compassion, genuineness in intent and selflessness. There is no deceit, no pretensions. Like most 'younger lot' put it 'I can just be myself with my friend'. Its got a profound meaning, if we could pause and think.

Being selfless in friendship is so underrated. It teaches you a way of life! If only we expand our horizon and look at this world as full of friends.Being selfless dissolves the ego, when we find ourselves in situations where a person needs help, their needs takes precedence over the 'I'. That's what friendship could teach and that's when we have the wisdom from friendship, connect the dots and see the bigger picture!

Friendship involves as much effort, attention and time as being a good son, brother, father etc..Think about this, a stranger is someone else's friend, he has his own innate good qualities and flaws too. So while we see our friend 'as they are' and 'accept them as they are'  why cant we do the same with a stranger? We can ! That's why I think a being a good friend leaves us being a good human.

Haven't we had a situation when we honk at the person for some mistake he did and later realize the car and the person within? It turns out to be a friend of yours? I have. I could see my reactions, and impulses change right there from anger to a silly laugh. Why? If you are a good friend you know why! Question is, why cant I do that with all? Sure we can.

Let us not exploit the relation for our own convenience, 'indulgence'. The bond is sacred, like in all relations so when we commit to it let's mean it!

Should I say Happy Friendship's day? Never mind..yes, its just another day...

No comments: